Gaviscon - Advance 300 ml - Indication:
An off-white, viscous suspension, with fast onset of action (up to 3 Minutes), that has a physical mode of action in which it forms a raft that prevent the pepsin and bile from getting up into the esophagus.
Gaviscon is used to treat severe cases of:
1. Acid regurgitation, heartburn, indigestion (occurring due to the reflux of stomach contents).
2. Heartburn and GERD during pregnancy.
3. After gastric surgery (ex. sleeve gastrectomy)
4. As a result of hiatus hernia, accompanying reflux oesophagitis
5. To treat the symptoms of gastro-oesophageal reflux during concomitant treatment with or following withdrawal of acid suppressing therapy.
It is advised to use Gaviscon to be combined with other gastro-hyperacidity medications like Proton Pump Inhibitors to have a fast relief of symptoms since it works within 3 minutes and the effect lasts up to 4 hours.
The mode of action of Gaviscon Advance Oral Suspension is physical and does not depend on absorption into the systemic circulation. Therefore, no side effect for Gaviscon.
However, A time-interval of 2 hours should be considered between Gaviscon intake and the administration of other medicinal products, especially tetracyclines, fluoroquinolones, iron salts, thyroid hormones, chloroquine, bisphosphonates, and estramustine.
Adults and children 12 years and over: 5-10ml after meals and at bedtime